Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Temari Balls

One of the things that I have really enjoyed doing over the years is making Temari Balls. This is a craft that goes back to the eighth century in both China and Japan. The embroidery work was done with silk thread. These balls started out with a styrofoam ball. I wrapped them with a spool of sewing thread each. I then divided the ball into even sections. The embroidery work is done with pearl cotton and is stitch to the thread. I also like to use some metallic thread in the designs. Besides having a bowl of them around to enjoy they also make wonderful ornaments.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

I have never heard about that.. these are loooking so gorgeous..
Barbara

Fannie said...

I first saw these on HGTV on the Carol Duvall show, but never tried them. Your work is excellent, Jacq! Beautiful, beautiful.

morningDove said...

I have always wanted to try these. Yours are gorgeous. thanks for sharing

Dot said...

Hi there

Many thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comment! These Temari balls are wonderful. And they look like they are fun to make too.

Kind regards

Dot

Nina In Norway said...

WOW. They are the most beautiful Christmas ornaments I’ve seen. They are absolutely gorgeous.
Wonder if I am going to try to make just one...